Kimchi JJigae (김치 찌개), also known as Kimchi stew, is a hearty, savory and spicy stew. Kimchi JJigae is also the most well-known stews in Korean culture. If you’re looking for an easy Kimchi JJigae recipe, you came to the right place. Our easy Kimchi JJigae recipe is authentic and delicious! Now let’s get cooking!
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 1 PERSON)
- 1/4 pound – Pork Belly (cut into bite size pieces)
- 3/4 cup – Kimchi (aged at least 2 to 3 weeks)
- 1/4 cup – White Onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 – Button Mushrooms or Shiitake Mushrooms (stems removed and thinly sliced)
- 1 – Scallion Stalk (thinly sliced)
- 6 ounces – Firm Tofu (sliced into thin squares)
- 2 cups – Water
- 1 tablespoon – Korean Chili Flakes (Gochugaru)
- 1 teaspoon – Korean Chili Paste (Gochujang)
- 1 tablespoon – Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon – Mirin Rice Cooking Wine
- 1/4 teaspoon – Garlic (Minced)
STEP BY STEP COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Marinate the pork belly with the Mirin rice cooking wine for 30 minutes.
- Saute the Kimchi in a small pot or Korean stone pot until softened.
- Add the water, marinated pork belly, onion, mushrooms, tofu and seasoning ingredients into the pot.
- Bring your pot to a boil then reduce to medium heat.
- Simmer on medium heat for about 15 minutes until the pork belly is cooked.
- Add the scallion on top and turn the heat off.
ENJOY YOUR KIMCHI JJIGAE!